Happy Saturday Everyone! This afternoon we decided to make some apple hand pies with our orchard’s Macintosh apples. We were inspired during a raucous freezer cleaning session where we came across a disk of leftover pie dough from last season (Sitting Pretty Peach Galette). If you don’t have a squirreled away frozen crust in your freezer, here’s our basic pie dough recipe:
2 1/2 cups (315 g) flour
1 tablespoon (15 g) sugar
1 teaspoon (5 g) table salt
2 sticks (8 ounces, 225 grams) very cold, unsalted butter
¾ cup ice cold water (put ice cubes in it but don’t add them to the dough)
For the dough, combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture easily forms a ball. You may need a little more or less. Divide dough into two pieces, wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
Now for the hand pies!
Before we start, let’s talk about these little pockets of gold. Hand pies are the perfect food for children and adults alike! They are incredibly cute, delicious, and the perfect size for snacking. Sometimes it just isn’t convenient to sit down, have a big slice of pie on a plate, dirty a dish and a fork and listen to your kid brother tell you why he’s renouncing all meat and becoming a gypsy. For those times – reach for a hand pie.
Pie Dough Recipe
4 Macintosh Apples
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon AP Flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace (optional)
1 tsp water
pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Remove pie dough from fridge and on a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
4) Remove excess dough and brush each circle lightly, with egg wash.
6) Fold circles in half and seal using a fork dipped in flour. The flour will help prevent the fork from sticking.
8) Using a small paring knife, pierce the top layer of crust on each pie to allow steam to escape while baking.
10) When pies are done, remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream or room temperature on the go!